Mama Ricki here again. Been thinking about you this year – what a year! Talk about your ups and downs. We watched this country go through some intense moments. And I get the feeling that you went through some intense moments too.
My daughter and I are preparing to light the Hannukah Menorah for all eight nights of Hannukah this year, and to send you our wishes each and every night of Hannukah. But here’s a secret – they’re not wishes at all – they’re reminders of the strength and beauty that is inside of you.
First – a quick introduction to my daughter, who introduced me to this website in the first place (thank you Sarah!). Sarah came out to me when she was 14.
Was I surprised? Not really. Was my reaction perfectly accepting? I hope so! I told her that I didn’t really care who she loved, as long as that person saw her as a special and beautiful person, and treated her with respect and kindness. Love and acceptance. Kindness.
Before Hannukah starts, we’ll do our holiday shopping – always scarves and mittens for her! (You too, right? The fuzzy ones?) This year we lost our beloved cat, and I already picked out the kitty socks and mittens for her first night of Hannukah gift.
Here are my Hannukah wishes for you. You don’t have to be Jewish! (Another secret: I am not the least bit religious. I believe in kindness first and foremost.)
- I wish that you always remember that you are beautiful, and special, and unique.
- I wish you that you always remember that you will feel happy, and confident one day – even if that day feels a million miles away.
- I wish that you paint a happy picture in your mind of how your life could be. Where would that be? What would your room look like in that picture?
- I wish that you find a safe place right now where you can be you. Either in a support group, or even if it’s in your room with your “happy” song playing.
- I wish that you could see what I see. That a hard time now is JUST A CHAPTER in the book. It’s NOT the entire book. This I promise.
- Happiness always comes to me when I give a smile and a compliment to someone else. Try it!
- Don’t discount the power of a well-earned hot chocolate. Or any chocolate for that matter.
- Above all, I wish you peace inside yourself. You are a beautiful soul.
I would love to hear from you in the comments, and promise to write back.
I am thinking of you and sending so much love, so much support.
You are NEVER alone!
With love, strength – and all those mom hugs,